- Seaweed excites this marine scientist – even though it nearly killed her
On a summer’s morning in 2019, in the small New South Wales farming community of Bolong, on the Shoalhaven River, […]
- Australia’s environmental scorecard: how are we performing? And whose job is it anyway?
As the climate catastrophe morphs from looming threat to ever-present reality, our relationship with it is changing. Australians in particular are […]
- “So smooth:” Students test drive solar car they spent three years designing
On a soaking wet spring day at Deakin University’s Waurn Ponds campus in Victoria, under a leaden sky devoid of […]
- Woodside nearly doubles revenue as fossil fuel giants cash in on oil and gas prices
Woodside Energy’s quarterly revenue has nearly doubled in a year thanks to strong gas pricing, following a similar announcement from oil and […]
- Environmental groups warn WA’s gas projects will derail new net-zero legislation
Western Australia is to enshrine its commitment to net zero emissions by 2050 into law, but environmental groups warn that […]
- Six ways Aussie researchers hope to deliver ultra low-cost solar
UNSW Sydney projects have been awarded a glut of funding by the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) to support research […]
- Truss lifts ban on fracking, and will prop up fossil fuel companies in energy crisis
Leaders in the EU and the UK have announced markedly different plans to manage the escalating energy crisis, as August […]
- Field robotics solves problems we can’t even imagine yet – but to capitalise, it needs a more diverse data set
Australia, a country with vast tracts of agricultural land, escalating natural hazards and a booming resources industry, is a world-leader in field robotics.
- Food waste is a problem. Is getting rid of “use-bys” and “best befores” a solution?
UK supermarkets are scrapping date labels on hundreds of products to tackle food waste: could it happen here? And is it microbiologically safe?
- Are Earth’s major climate cycles changing? And if so, what will that mean for local weather?
Stand by for the global weather report.
- Huh? Science Explained: What is the James Webb Space Telescope, and what’s it looking for?
- Huh? Science Explained: How do scientists know how old the Earth is?
- Cosmos Briefing Science Daily Podcast: Post-coital spider adventures
- Cosmos Briefing Science Daily podcast: Finally a male contraceptive?
- The bother with biogas
The “clean” energy that needs to clean up its act.
- Climate versus cost: what does the UK’s energy crisis tell us about the economics of net-zero in an energy-scarce world?
Soaring power prices have fermented opposition to net-zero targets, so can lower energy bills and climate mitigation be compatible?
- Antibiotic resistance: an arms race going on millions of years
How can we fight antibiotic resistance by decoding its evolutionary history?
- How do scientists know how old the Earth is?
How can we be so specific about an event so far in the past?
- How Australia’s land can drink up carbon
The IPCC report released this week signals hope, but it comes with a fair few ‘ifs’. One of them is about the success of carbon drawdown.
- IPCC AR6: where are we now, nearly a decade on?
IPCC sixth assessment report on mitigation: The bad news? We’re polluting more than ever. The good news, though, is mitigation strategies are more possible than ever.